- This event has passed.
LIFE-PLATFORM MEETING ON AIR QUALITY IN BARCELONA
September 26, 2017 - September 27, 2017
The AIRUSE and IMPROVE LIFE projects hosted the LIFE Platform Meeting on Air Quality that took place last 26-27 September 2017, under the title: Abating urban exposure to air pollutants.
The International LIFE Platform reviewed the state of the art strategies and measures to have better air in the cities where we live. For this, the discussion was established to firstly know the current situation, the problems we are facing, and the available measures. Speakers from different areas presented their views on this matter aiming to prepare helpful guidelines for all European cities.
The meeting was structured in 3 sessions: Urban Air Quality Measures, Citizen Exposure While Commuting, and Models and Tools for Air Quality Management. Topics covered from measures to abate pollution from road traffic, industry, domestic and commercial heating, to shipping, construction/demolition work, and airports.
AIRUSE project demonstrated mitigation measures to reduce particulate matter (PM) levels, from diverse sources, to within acceptable limits.
IMPROVE LIFE is providing a benchmark study with the aim of improving subway air quality in Barcelona.
Many other LIFE projects also present their findings during the meeting:
- AUTO (LIFE12 ENV/FR/000480)
- BrennerLEC (LIFE 15/ENV/IT/000281)
- CLEAN HEAT-LIFE (LIFE14 GIE/DE/000490)
- E-MOBILITY-LIFE (LIFE11 ENV/NL/000793)
- GySTRA (LIFE 16/ENV/ES/00082)
- LIFE-IP MALOPOLSKA (LIFE14 IPE PL 021)
- LIFE-IP PREPAIR (LIFE 15/IP/IT/000013)
- MINOx-STREET-LIFE (LIFE 12 ENV/ES/000280)
- PASTA (FP7/ 602624-2)
- REDUST-LIFE (LIFE 09 ENV/FI/000579)
- RESPIRA-LIFE-Urban Cycling (LIFE 13/ENV/ES/000417)
- SLIDE IN-LIFE+ (LIFE 10/ENV/SE/00035)
The meeting was organized in cooperation with the Directorate-General for Environment (DG ENV); the Executive Agency for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (EASME) and the European Commission. The NEEMO external monitoring team provided the logistic support and AXA research fund provided support for the meeting.
DOWNLOAD ALL THE EVENT’S PRESENTATIONS AND MATERIALS HERE:
Presentation of LIFE ENV PROGRAME
Introduction: Challenges and problems to overcome at four scales
- The view of the Regional Governments, by Mercè Rius, from D.G. Environment, Government of Catalonia
- A European overview, by Alberto González Ortiz, from European Environmental Agency
- The view of the State Members, by Irene Olivares, from D.G. Environment, Spanish Ministry of Agriculture, Food, Fishing and Environment
- The view of the cities, by Joan Marc Craviotto, from Barcelona City Council
Effectiveness of urban air quality measures (projects)
- AIRUSE, Sources and measures_1 (LIFE 11 ENV/ES/000584). Xavier Querol
- AIRUSE, Sources and measures_2 (LIFE 11 ENV/ES/000584). Fulvio Amato
- REDUST-LIFE (LIFE 09 ENV/FI/000579). Outi Väkevä
- E-MOBILITY-LIFE (LIFE11 ENV/NL/000793). Pieter Looijestijn
- AUTO (LIFE12 ENV/FR/000480). Thierry Seguelong
- MINOx-STREET-LIFE (LIFE 12 ENV/ES/000280). Manuel Pujadas
- CLEAN HEAT-LIFE (LIFE14 GIE/DE/000490). Laura Krug
Effectiveness of urban air quality measures (the cities)
- London. David Dajnak, from King’s College London
- Madrid. Angeles Cristobal, from Madrid City Council
The Air-Alliance: European vehicle eco-labelling for new and old vehicles. Nick Molden and Massimo Fedeli
European Investment Project Portal (EIPP). Ramona Ocak from EC- DG ECFIN
Citizen exposure while commuting
- IMPROVE Subway air quality measures (LIFE13/ENV/ES/000263). Teresa Moreno
- RESPIRA-LIFE-Urban Cycling (LIFE 13/ENV/ES/000417). Jesús M. Santamaría
- PASTA (FP7/ 602624-2). Luc Int Panis
- The case of the Greater Paris Area. Sophie Moukhtar, from AIRPARIF
Clean public transport
- TMB, Metropolitan Transports of Barcelona. Josep Armengol
- SLIDE IN-LIFE+ (LIFE 10/ENV/SE/00035). Patrik Rydén
Models and tools for air quality management
- GySTRA (LIFE 16/ENV/ES/00082). Dolores Hidalgo
- Supporting implementation of the Air Quality Plan for Malapolska (LIFE IPE PL 021). Lisa Blyth
- LONDON HYBRID EXPOSURE MODEL. David Dajnak
- BrennerLEC (LIFE 15/ENV/IT/000281). Laura Pretto
- LIFE-IP PREPAIR (LIFE 15/IP/IT/000013). Lavinia Laiti